Home > Religion > Why I Write About Christianity

Why I Write About Christianity

It is no great secret that I have distanced myself from Christianity. While I have many family and friends still in the Church, I make no pretense of being involved or even interested in the religious life of a believer. Yet I have been an outspoken critic of the faith and of religion in general. Some of the questions I get asked is, “Why do you care so much? If you are so removed from Christianity, why spend so much time criticizing it? Wouldn’t it be better to simply live your own life? Why try to ruin someone else’s peace?”

I recognize these as legitimate questions and in this article will attempt to answer them, as I do have my reasons.

There is nothing I believe in more than the freedom to believe as one might wish, even if I consider those beliefs to be without merit. I am not the final judge of what someone’s personal worldview should be, or their religion, or whether or not they should claim a religion at all. Superficially, Christianity falls into this category. Is it not a personal belief? And am I not therefore infringing on someone else’s right to believe by consistently presenting cases against it? Why can’t I just leave it alone?

Again, these are good questions that deserve an answer.

1. Is Christianity a personal belief?

A belief in Christianity is personal in the sense that a person can hold such a belief for themselves. It is not personal within the belief structure itself. Christianity is constructed in such a way that it must be seen as the only legitimate belief system available. This inevitably results in great exclusivity within the ranks and merciless condemnation of other similar constructs. Christianity needs to be the only way to the Truth. Without that, it becomes no better than any other creed or belief. Its very existence depends on being “the way, the truth, and the life” (King James Version, John 14.6).

The effects of this arrogance are clearly seen. Those who do not accept Christianity are condemned and told that they will necessarily spend the afterlife in eternal suffering. Often, those who reject Christianity are shunned, pushed aside, treated with prejudice, maligned, libeled, whispered about behind closed doors, and treated to a never-ending barrage of entreaty. Believers gather and pray for misery to strike the stubborn heathen in the form of holy conviction[1]. Unbelievers are seen as less spiritually aware. Christianity is an excellent method of ego-stroking. It allows the believer to feel superior to all those who side against belief.

These factors show that Christianity quite easily becomes more than simply a personal belief and begins worming its way into the lives of unbelievers. If one is not Christian, one is not good enough and is not fulfilling their potential. If one is not Christian, one is doing themselves, their families, and those around them a great disservice. Unbelief is considered pure selfishness.

It gets worse than this. Christianity depends on conversion. Those in the faith cannot be content with making others feel bad about their lives or causing them to worry needlessly about their eternal fate. Christianity demands that believers seek out and convert unbelievers. It is in their creed. In the parable of the marriage supper found in Luke 14.23, Jesus says, “And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.” (The emphasis is mine.) This and similar commandments are not suggestions. Believers themselves face a price if they fail in this regard. “When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand” (Ezekiel 33.8).

In this more relevant sense, Christianity is not a personal religion. The believing individual cannot be content with having it for themselves. They are required to share it with everyone.

There are uncounted people (I know many) who struggle with this every day. It colors their lives in decidedly negative ways. The constant pressure to believe harms their lives, renders them unable to fully enjoy and appreciate their daily lives, and often separates them from family and friends.

Christianity is an insidious system. Many people, particularly those with a strict Christian upbringing, have no idea how to rid themselves of this loathsome burden. The religion they cannot accept has a hold on them nonetheless, exerting cruel control from afar. This is why it is necessary to confront Christianity head-on and to provide those struggling with the tools necessary to break the chains once and for all. Christianity claims to provide freedom. It does not. It is not satisfied with those who willingly accept it. It must own everyone else, as well.

2. Am I infringing on someone else’s right to believe?

No, I do not believe so. I am not saying and have never said that someone cannot hold these beliefs for themselves. One is welcome to believe whatever they wish. Unfortunately, this is not, as has been clearly stated, what Christianity does. I say, cling to whatever faith you wish. You might even talk about it with others. However, when you begin to say that everyone else must either agree with you or resign themselves to a hell, you have overstepped your bounds.

3. Why can’t I just leave it alone?

I feel this point has already been largely addressed. Having narrowly escaped a life within the grips of a fundamentalist regime, I have experienced the process of escape. I know it can be done, although not always easily. I feel a responsibility to those who now find themselves in the same position I was in some years ago. My specific goal is not to convert, but only to make it as clear as possible that there are options. People need to know all of the facts before they make a decision they may not find easy to fix later. Certainly, the Church is not going to provide these facts. Objectivity is not, and never has been, one of its strong points. This is why I cannot and will not be silent on this issue. As long as Christianity continues to forge shackles of required belief, I will do my best to break them.

King James Version. [Colorado Springs]: Biblica, 2011. BibleGateway.com. Web. 8 April 2012.

[1] The idea that the holy spirit will visit spiritual truths to hardened hearts, making them see the evil of their hearts to such an extent that they will be unable to eat, sleep, or function until they repent of their sins.

Categories: Religion Tags: , ,
  1. melbomartin
    April 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm | #1

I’ve been reading your stuff for a while and I have never had the sense that you are trying to “convert people away” from Christianity, for want of a better term. As someone who has the inside track on fundamentalism and is now not within that system, I think you are perfectly qualified and well placed to comment on it and provide guidance to those who are no longer willing to accept the absolutes within it.

You are living your life and I think that is self-evident. You have taken your place in a world outside the faith – a world which you were told was not a good one. You’ve moved out and found that there is plenty of good in that world and good people along with it. I don’t see why you should remain silent about your journey. I don’t think any greater good is served by that.

• April 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm | #2

Thanks! I really appreciate your thoughts. I think it’s time that people understand that it’s actually okay to question long-held religious beliefs. Actually, a lot of people do and that number is growing all the time. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

2. Lynn123
    April 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm | #3

Why can’t we just walk away and not say anything? Because, as you expressed, fundamentalism gets deeply ingrained and is very much a part of who you are and how you see the world-and all that doesn’t just fall off when you leave. And maybe it’s because people who leave anything behind that they consider to have ended up harming them-they want to help others who also want to get out, or at least let them know that there are other ways of living and thinking about the world. I think of it kinda like growing up in a cult.

• April 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm | #4

Bingo. I think you are right on. Why do people speak out against any other sort of evil that harms innocent people? Why not just go about our own lives? Well, partially because we have a societal evolutionary duty to reach out. Just as I would attempt to help someone getting beaten on a street corner.

3. April 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm | #5

Craig, your words are poignant, but most of what you write is true. I am not sure if Christians believe that the non-Christans are “not good enough” , however, they do consider them “lost” and therefore needing redemption. In their eyes, nobody is good; only God is good. Christians don’t see themselves better than others, but they do see themselves “forgiven” because they give credit to God (through Jesus’ sacrifice), not themselves. Nevertheless, I totally agree when you write that it is insidious for Christians to teach others that, if they don’t agree with their beliefs, they will eternally burn in hell. It is almost as a trap, a manipulative way of convincing others to join their religion. In overall, very good post. If people don’t like what you write, they have the option of not reading at all.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:52 am | #6

Thanks, Noel. I generally agree with your assessment of the “forgiven” vs. “not good enough” bit, at least to the extent that that is what Christians would say. It just seems like a loophole to me. Kind of like saying to someone, “This isn’t coming from me, but you’re really ugly.” Uhhhh…but you still called me ugly. This is a stupid analogy, I realize, but the point is that covering up an accusation with a sugar or deflecting coating doesn’t change what the person actually said/means.

4. April 10, 2012 at 8:20 am | #7

I’m so glad I happened upon your blog! I am going through the same sort of thing myself but last year decided I was an Atheist and after joining an Atheist group and really respecting their opinions decided that I was Agnostic. I love to learn! I don’t understand why many other people do not want to learn about their own and more importantly other people’s religions!

Loved your thoughts on this! I truly hope that people of all religions will learn to accept and respect one another.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:53 am | #8

So happy you found us! I hope you stick around and join in the discussions.

5. April
    April 17, 2012 at 6:37 pm | #9

I’m glad that you are writing about these things Craig. I can tolerate the religions that don’t harm others, but truth be told a whole lot of damage has been done in “God’s name” using the bible & unfortunately it does continue. The good thing is that many folks like us, who have escaped abusive bible religion, are speaking out about our experiences.

I was watching the National Geographic Channel (NatGeo) the other night & they had a very interesting program on called “I escaped a cult”. It takes a whole lot of courage to speak out. I’m glad to see people are speaking out & getting free. :D You go Craig! :)

6. April 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm | #10

I’m not outside of Chrstianity, but I often wonder how it would look if I took that step outside. Your point about having to seek conversion of unbelievers has always been a sticking point with me. Having grown up in a pastor’s home and being required to go door-to-door “winning souls for Christ,” I have become increasingly uneasy with this cramming of faith down others’ throats. I cannot understand how a God who is love would demand this of us or allow the infliction of this Bible-bashing on our friends, family and even complete strangers. (I am also wondering why a God who is love would cruelly send those whom he claims to love to eternal hellfire, but that is another issue.) So keep writing and challenging us. The stuff you write (hopefully) will prevent us from making asses of ourselves any more than we already have.

7. May 29, 2012 at 1:27 am | #11

If you read this message, you’ll uansretdnd that you’re not exactly a bad person, lol. Your problem is easy to fix, no? Stop listening to music, watching tv, playing on the computer. Throw all the occult stuff out of your house. Also, throw out bad magazines, books, skulls, journals, clothes, amulets, talismans, masks, etc. out of your house, no? Pray Psalm 26 40 times a day for 40 straight days. Doing the 1600 will help you calm down. Also, pray this 100 times daily Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, deliver me from the antichrist, enemy forces (demons), and witchcraft. Amen. Let’s talk about hell, no? Well, there are different punishments in hell as well as there are different rewards in heaven. Christian saints and martyrs are rewarded the most. Christians who commit the 5 unforgivable sins are tortured the most. So, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. are actually tortured less than the Christians who committed the big 5 . The big 5 discussion follows. God will forgive all sins (if repented), except the big 5 . Suicide, blasphemy, worship of antichrist (pale Jew with red eyes, who moves like superman and makes fire come down from the sky), receiving mark of the beast (rfid chip-small grey world passport-electronic tattoo-666 tattoo by lasers), and going into ufo ship (aliens=ghosts=demons) lead to hell. People have heard about Revelation 13 s warning about going to hell if they accept 666 mark on right hand or forehead. This 666 mark is given by lasers when people stretch their hands to receive the new small grey world passport. The rfid chip and electronic tattoo are ways to track people to laser them with that 666 mark . Non-Chrisians who worshiped that red-eye antichrist, or received 666 mark, or committed suicide are going to be tortured the most out of any non-Christian.

8. Esther Adelanwa
    January 8, 2013 at 2:56 pm | #12

I’m not very experienced in these debates, but all I want to say is that those Christians that try to condemn others, and manipulate their thoughts and take advantage of them by telling them that they will go to hell it they don’t repent or change their ways, are the real wrongdoers here. Not all Christians do this, you have to understand and those that do, clearly are not reading their Bibles very well and need to review it more closely.

As Christians, we are meant to preach to unbelievers, with love and concern for their lives. We are supposed to draw them closer, not push them out and leave them in exile. Sometimes the truth that what they are doing is wrong, will be hard for them to swallow, but it is the truth. If we do not tell them then we are not fulfilling our purpose on this earth which the Bible commands us and the Bible is the word of God.

But then again, the Bible does say that those who do not repent will be sent to hell and this is just a warning to them. It’s not meant to scare them into coming to Christ so he can just save them. They are meant to believe (truly believe) in him through their own hearts and their own choices. We are just there to get the message across and the rest is between them and God. It’s either they believe or they don’t. It’s up to God to do minister to them.

Yours views are valid in many ways, but I believe you should not blame Christianity as a whole, for the issues us as human beings have caused and you shouldn’t even blame the Christians who are in the wrong.

As the Bible says in Luke 6:37 – “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven – As Christians we are not perfect (only trying to achieve perfection) and many Christians today still don’t understand what exactly Christianity is implying of them and may seem too aggressive with the way they preach or may seem as if they are forcing the ways of Christ upon others. But just know that Christianity is not to blame and that this is not a good reason to leave such a religion behind because of man-made errors. Have you considered asking God for answers to why these things happen? You might want to ask him for peace away from these people? But continue questioning the ways of Christianity as you are doing now, if you truly believe that what you are doing is right. It’s all up to you.

God Bless,

1. April 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm | #1
  2. April 10, 2012 at 8:57 am | #2
  3. April 12, 2012 at 6:04 am | #3
  4. April 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm | #4

Come on', join the conversation!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,364 other followers